University of Iowa
Through course readings, class discussions, in-class activities, and a course-long project, students will:
- learn how to carry out a metadata project from start to finish:
- select appropriate metadata standards to support a defined purpose and audience
- develop guidelines, documentation, and policy
- design metadata creation workflows and processes
- implement and document quality control procedures
- repurpose metadata through crosswalks and transformations
- gain familiarity with a wide range of current structural, content, encoding, and vocabulary standards and an appreciation for how standards grow and evolve within communities of practice.
- learn tools and techniques for metadata creation and manipulation.
- gain an awareness of current developments across the rapidly-changing bibliographic landscape.
No required textbook.
Link to Syllabus: